Monday, October 27, 2008

The Lightship Kittiwake, Dublin

I had been informed that the Lightship Kittiwake (or the Automated Lightfloat - ALF - Kittiwake had been moored at Pigeon House Harbour - Dublin docklands (see previously) After wandering around the South side of the Liffey for hours, asking people where Pigeon House Harbour was, I gave up.
Eventually Simon Coate of the Dun Laoghaire Port Authority was able to tell me that it is actually moored alongside the Point Depot - soon to be the O2 Village - on the north bank of the Liffey

These pictures were taken around 07:45 on the October Bank Holiday morning with the sun just rising up over Dublin Bay.

Built of steel in 1959, it was converted to an ALF in 1981. It was previously moored in Dun Laoghaire harbour (2002) It was decommissioned in 2007 and now is up for sale "as is" price on application!





8 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,

    Great site!

    I thought that you might like to know that Harry Crosbie has sold the "Kittiwake" to the Dublin Port Company. I rang them today (26/9/12) and they confirmed the purchase. They promised to come back to me in a couple of weeks and let me know their plans. I'll post here again as soon as I hear anything.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of her now. (I have included this information on a new post - many thanks again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What has become of the Kittiwake now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andre. The information I have is that Harry Crosbie's plans to turn the Kittiwake into a restaurant fell through. The ship has been moved from outside the Point Theatre to a nearby dock on the northside of the river. If you find Dublin Ferryport 3 on Google maps and view it on Satellite, rather than Map, I believe the lightship is in the dock behind it, up against the spar that sticks out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Peter,

      No streetview available but I saw the vessel on Google Earth, just wondered if it was for sale and bring it to Holland. Think there are only 3 or 4 left here, the nearest is http://www.nederlandsevuurtorens.nl/lichtschip.php?lichtschip=1
      It is the former Kentish Knock’ on the Theems. Later I think the LV8

      Delete
    2. Is there a way to contact the owner? Email?

      Delete
  5. Hi Andre, Ok, further enquiries is that Harry Crosbie sold the ship to the Dublin Port Company - http://dublinport.ie/ - so they would be the ones to contact. There is a contact section on their webpage.
    Yes, I like your Wadden lightship. It looks in very good condition. I see at one time it was a discotheque in Rotterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx again for the info, I will ty to contact them.

    ReplyDelete