Friday, September 2, 2016

Dunree Head New Light


So, walking up to fulfill a long-held dream to visit Dunree Head lighthouse (see previous post) and what is this I see in front of the light? A new light!! I knew nothing about it.


I did subsequently find a notice to mariners which read "The Commissioners of Irish Lights hereby give notice that on or about 08 May 2015, or as soon thereafter as circumstances permit, a new structure and light will be installed at Dunree. The range and arc of visibility will remain unchanged." Its elevation is 49 meters as opposed to 46 meters for the old one." 






My head comes up to the top of the door and I am 6 feet tall, so I reckon the tower structure is about 15 feet high and the light another 4 feet higher again. I'm not much good at materials but I reckon the tower is made of fibreglass. I'm pretty sure its not chocolate anyway.


Keepers dwellings Dunree Head

No comments:

Post a Comment